AVG Ultimate Review: complete Internet security for all your devices
AVG Ultimate 2019 is a complete collection of anti-virus tools to keep clean, optimise, and protect your PC, as well as your Android and Mac devices. The renewed AVG Zen Interface works comfortably. The Internet security performance varies according to platform.
- Protect all your devices with 1 single licence;
- Unlimited number of licences;
- Protects all platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS, Android and iOS;
- Always up-to-date automatically;
- AVG Zen dashboard easy to use;
- Good performance on Windows
- Anti-spam and anti-phishing performance varies;
- Simple firewall;
- Limited options for macOS;
- Handy extra functions such as Parental Control are missing
Everything under control with AVG Zen
From the user-friendly AVG Zen Interface you control the status of each protected device. As soon as you’ve created an account (easy to do with an e-mail address and a password), Zen functions as a central dashboard that shows that protection- and performance-status of all your devices. Whenever problems show up, you’ll be immediately notified.
Users familiar with AVG recognise the interface from its four rectangular panels and coloured circles. When a circle changes its green colour, AVG is warning you there’s a problem you need to resolve.
For Windows and Mac OS
AVG Ultimate disposes of all components you may expect from standard Internet Security for Windows. Overall, performance is good. Malware is detected and removed with ease, malevolent websites are simply blocked. The software had more difficulty blocking spam. The Internet security package furthermore disposes of its own, but simple firewall. Handy extra functions such as Parental Control are missing, however (though not everybody will need this function).
Even though Anti-virus for Mac and iOS can also be downloaded for free, we think it works most comfortably in combination with the remotely controllable AVG Zen. The security components are organised simply, and offer basic protection against viruses and other malware.
In order to protect your Android device, forward the link you received during installation. By clicking the link you will be re-routed to the AVG Android Free Protection portal. With the supplied activation-code you can upgrade to the PRO version. After installation the Android device will be listed on the Zen Dashboard. By clicking the device you can read its status. You can even run a scan from AVG Zen, or an update.
Some other handy anti-virus functions:
- Performance improvement; you will keep an eye on energy consumption and memory use of apps, and you can intervene, if needed
- Anti-theft; via AVG online you can trace your mobile device, or empty it at once. You also can sound a loud alarm.
AVG Ultimate 2017 will allow you to protect all of your devices at once, on various platforms. Anti-virus performance varies, according to the platform and device. Especially the well-organised and remotely controllable AVG Zen users interface is impressive.